Anne Wiebe – Gladstone, Manitoba
- 1-1/2 cups egg whites (about 10)
- 3/4 cup plus 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup white rice flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Assorted fresh fruit, optional
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sift 3/4 cup sugar, cornstarch, flours and potato starch together twice; set aside.
- Add cream of tartar, salt and vanilla to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on high until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time.
- Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through the batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until lightly browned and entire top appears dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate. Top with fresh fruit if desired. Yield: 16 servings.
Editor’s Note: Read all ingredient labels for possible gluten content prior to use. Ingredient formulas can change, and production facilities vary among brands. If you’re concerned that your brand may contain gluten, contact the company.
Nutrition Facts: 1 slice (calculated without fruit) equals 101 calories, trace fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 149 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1-1/2 starch.