- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup quick grits, (not instant) (see Shopping Tip)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 3/4 cup extra-sharp or sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 pound peeled and deveined raw shrimp, (16-20 per pound; see Shopping Tip)
- 1 bunch scallions, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
- Bring broth and water to a boil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Whisk in grits and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cheese. Cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, toss shrimp, scallions, oil, garlic powder, the remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper and salt in a medium bowl. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet. Broil, stirring once, until the shrimp are pink and just cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes. Serve the grits topped with the broiled shrimp and scallions.
Per serving: 356 calories; 13 g fat ( 5 g sat , 3 g mono ); 197 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 32 g protein; 1 g fiber; 428 mg sodium; 275 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (61% daily value), Calcium (25% dv), Iron (20% dv), Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 4 lean meat, 1 fat