By GlutenFreeGirl on August 02, 2006
- 2 cups rice flour (white)
- 1 cup tapioca flour
- 3 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons egg substitute (optional)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
- 2 tablespoons fast rise yeast
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 3 egg whites, beaten slightly
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- melted butter, for brushing (optional)
- In the bowl of a heavy-duty mixer, place flours, xanthan gum, salt, and egg replacer (if used).Blend with mixer on low.
- In a small bowl dissolve the sugar in the water, and add yeast.
- Wait until the mixture foams slightly, then blend into the dry ingredients.
- Add the butter, egg whites, and vinegar.Beat on high for 3 minutes.
- To form loaves, spoon dough onto greased and cornmeal-dusted cookie sheets in two long French-loaf shapes or spoon into special French-bread pans.
- Slash diagonally every few inches.If desired, brush with melted butter.
- Cover the dough and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes.
- Remove from pan to cool.